Children in entertainment

It is important that children are kept safe in our borough, discover more about what licences need to be obtained when employing a child in entertainment.

Performance licences

School attendance service

The school attendance service is responsible for issuing licences for children who want to perform in entertainment, such as film and television, theatre, modelling, and sports.

To apply for a licence, you must be the person responsible for the performance, such as the producer. You must complete and sign the form, and attach a passport-style photograph, copy of the child's birth certificate, and medical certificate or declaration if required.

We must be satisfied that the child is well supervised and protected, and that their education is not disrupted.

Key issues considered when issuing a licence

  • Is the child or young person below the minimum school leaving age?
  • Do they live in the Knowsley Council area?
  • Is there a charge for admission?
  • Is the performance taking place in a licensed premises?
  • Is the child/young person fit to take part?
  • Has the headteacher been consulted if the performance is taking place during school time?
  • Is the activity safe?

When no licence is required

In some cases, you may not need a licence. However, even if you do not need a licence, you must still comply with the regulations for licensed performances.

Licence request form download

Chat with us