Children in entertainment

It is important that children are kept safe in our borough, discover more about what licences need to be obtained when employing a child in entertainment.

About children in entertainment

If a child under compulsory school leaving age performs in either

  • Theatre where a charge is made
  • Modelling and sport where the child or any other person is paid a wage
  • In licensed premises

A child performance licence must be obtained.

The local authority has a statutory responsibility to issue a child performance licence for children who live in their area, approve chaperones (matrons) and has the responsibility to inspect any premises in their local authority area where children are or may be performing. The local authority requires a child to be licensed if absence from school is required for any performance.

Chat with us