Social care needs assessment

If you have a physical or mental impairment that affects your ability to live independently, you may be eligible for social care support. An assessment will be carried out to determine your needs and eligibility. Find out more here.

Overview of social care needs assessment

All people in England receiving adult social care services must pay for their support. You should expect to pay towards the cost of support services unless your assets, savings and income are very low. 

A social care assessment is the way we decide if you have needs that we can support you with. This is called being eligible for care and support. 

During the assessment we will have a conversation with you about what things you can do for yourself, what is important to you and  what you want to achieve. 

We will share information with you before the assessment about the eligibility criteria for care and support, and we will share the outcome of the assessment with you too. 

We know from talking to our residents that people want to live independently, in their own homes, for as long as possible. 

Our approach

In Adult Social Care, our approach is focused on early intervention and prevention. We aim to support people to promote their wellbeing and enable them to be as independent as possible.

This support can include:

  • providing information and advice in a format that you would prefer
  • referrals to community-based support services such as community centres or services that can help you with tasks like shopping and cleaning
  • providing a high level of support for a short period of time, for example to help you recover after a period of illness or injury
  • providing you with equipment or technology enabled care tools, such as pendant alarms or medication dispensers, to help you remain independent in your own home
  • providing support and services in your own home including help with your personal care needs

You will often find that the support you need can be provided by your family or friends, but there is also lots of support available in your community to help you when you need it. You can search the Live Well Directory to find out what is going on in your area. You can also call Healthy Knowsley on 0800 0731 202 for advice and information to improve your health and wellbeing.

If you need more specialist care and support, we will complete a social care assessment with you to help us understand what care and support you need.

If you are concerned that you or somebody you know is at risk of abuse or neglect, please contact us on 0151 443 2600 to make a safeguarding referral.

Chat with us