The Local Government Association (LGA) Corporate Peer Challenge re-visit took place in December 2021.
The re-visit reviewed how the Council had implemented the actions from the Corporate Peer Challenge which was undertaken in November 2017.
The LGA Peer Challenge process includes a review of:
- Local priorities and outcomes – considering the clarity of the Council’s priorities and their relationship to local context
- Organisational and place leadership – considering the effectiveness of the Council’s local leadership, including the relationships with partner agencies and communities
- Governance and culture – considering the clarity and robustness of the Council’s governance arrangements, including a culture of respect, challenge, and scrutiny
- Financial planning and management – considering the Council’s current financial position, and the Council’s strategy and plans to address financial challenges
- Capacity for improvement – considering whether the organisation can support the delivery of local priorities and has the capacity to improve as appropriate.
Feedback has now been received following the re-visit in December which acknowledged that:
- The Council has a good understanding of its communities.
- The value of the Knowsley Better Together approach (bringing people and organisations together for the benefit of Knowsley and its communities) and also commended the Council for their induction process by introducing the “Knowsley Better Together Journey”.
- The Council has taken brave decisions regarding investments to stimulate the economy.
- The Council has made progress made in developing the Council’s leadership and culture (which was well illustrated through the Council’s effective response to COVID-19), and the joint work which took place with partner agencies, voluntary, and community organisations.
- The Council continues to have strong financial management in place.
As expected, the Peer Challenge team made a number of recommendations for the Council to consider which focus on taking Knowsley Better Together “to the next level” by embedding the principles into the Knowsley Council Plan 2022-2025 and further developing community engagement and empowerment.
These include embedding and extending the emerging culture of empowerment across the council, building on the progress made throughout the pandemic and the new ways of working developed in response to the pandemic; further development of the Knowsley Council Plan to clarify post-pandemic priorities, and continuing to develop relationships with the community, voluntary, and faith sectors.
An action plan has been developed to progress these recommendations.
You can read the full LGA Corporate Peer Challenge Revisit Report here.
For further information on the Corporate Peer Challenge, contact Melanie Duncan – email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0151 443 5824.