Apply for a street party road closure

This guide explains what you should consider before applying, how to apply and what happens after you apply for a street party road closure.

Guide Navigation

Skip Guide Navigation

Before you apply

You must read and agree to our Terms and Conditions.

Before applying to close a road for a street party, you should consider the following:

Insurance & Indemnity

The Borough of Knowsley will not be held responsible for any damage to property or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party or other event.

It is your responsibility to consider whether to arrange an appropriate policy of insurance that will protect and indemnify you against any claim or cost arising from such an incident; that decision remains solely yours.  

Further advice on obtaining such insurance can be found here.

Risk assessments

We do not require you to provide us with a formal risk assessment but you should think about what could go wrong and have a backup plan. We recommend you read the advice that can be found at and

Alcohol licence

Licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. 

If you do want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact the Council’s licensing team for a Temporary Events Notice form. This form costs £21, and you should apply at least ten working days before your event. For more information, contact the licensing team on 0151 443 2300 or send them an email.

Music or entertainment licence

If your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money, then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.

Food permits

As a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you want to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

Tombolas and raffles

If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day, and the prizes are not worth more than £500, they will be exempt from gambling regulations; however, if tickets are sold before the event, you will need a lottery registration. Please speak to Knowsley's licensing team on 0151 443 2300. 

Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause, such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you want to raise money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.


Please be considerate of neighbours who may not be participating in your event – remember there may also be shift workers or children trying to sleep even in the daytime. If you have to talk louder against any music, then it’s probably too loud for neighbours.

Noise travels further at night, and if it is warm, windows and doors may be open.  Please bear this in mind when planning what type of activities you may organise for the evening.

The council recommends that street parties finish no later than 9pm.

Traffic Management

The council does not have road signs that you can borrow and recommends hiring appropriate signs and barriers from a local hire centre. Signs must be waterproof if the weather is wet and reflective if your street party lasts until dusk/nightfall.


You must also be aware of the needs of others, such as visiting doctors and nurses and other home visiting services and make suitable arrangements. 

Cleaning up

You will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Chat with us