Eligibility for discounts and exemptions

Find out if you're eligible for a discount or exempt from paying.

Exemptions relating to your personal circumstances

Certain people can be disregarded for council tax purposes. 

These are:

  • Patients living in hospital
  • People looked after in care homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a husband or wife, partner or child under 18 years old - apply online for the Carers Disregard.
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Foreign diplomats and certain members of international organisations
  • Members of religious communities (for example, monks and nuns)
  • People in prison (except those in prison for not paying their council tax or a fine) - apply online for the Persons in Detention Disregard

If you've already applied and are now exempt we will automatically apply the exemption to your Council Tax bill for the next year.

If all occupants are disregarded, you will be entitled to a 50% discount or possibly an exemption.

Full-time student Council Tax exemption and discount

You are allowed to apply for one of these disregards if you are any of the following:

  • Full-time student
  • Student nurse
  • Apprentice
  • Youth-training trainee
  • Aged 18 or 19 years old and still at school
  • Aged 18 or 19 years old and have just left school

You can apply for these disregards online:

Apply through the My Account portal

If you don't have a Knowsley Council services account - you can complete a separate Student Disregard Form.

Complete a Student Disregard Form here

Other discount and exemption forms you can download

 If you need these forms in another format, please contact us

Chat with us