Appealing Council Tax reduction decisions

Find out how to appeal against Council Tax reduction decisions.

If you do not understand our decision you can ask us to explain how we have made the decision. We can also send you a statement of reasons which shows how the decision has been made. You can ask us to look at the decision again by writing to us and telling us why you think the decision is wrong. If you have any more information that you believe is relevant to the decision you can bring it or send it to us and it may help us to reconsider your application. 

You can appeal if you disagree with a decision about your entitlement to a council tax discount or exemption or the amount your bill has been reduced. 

In the first instance, this appeal should be made in writing to the council tax office at: Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Municipal Buildings, Archway Road, Huyton, L36 9YU 

You can appeal against:

  • Your entitlement to a reduction under our scheme
  • The amount of reduction that you have been awarded

Your appeal must be in writing and you must tell us why you disagree with our decision.

We will consider your appeal and notify you in writing that either:

  • The grounds for your appeal are not well founded and our reasons for that decision; or
  • That steps have been taken to deal with your grievance and what those steps were.

Should the matter not be resolved to your satisfaction, you have a further right of appeal to the valuation tribunal service.

Chat with us