Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs if you are either out of work or working but on a low income. Find out who can claim and how to apply.


Council Tax reduction is not being replaced by Universal Credit so you will need to apply for this separately. 

Universal Credit is administrated by the department of Work and Pensions (DWP). It is a benefit for working-age people who are on a low income, out of work or unable to work. Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits and tax credits: 

  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Child Tax Credits

To find out more, visit Understanding Universal Credit.

Chat with us