Other forms of exploitation

Although the following forms of exploitation are not specifically mentioned in the Care Act 2014, they can often be linked to other forms of abuse or neglect, and it is important that everyone knows how to recognise them.

Honour-based violence and Female Genital Cutting

Honour-based violence and FGC are human rights abuses that can have devastating consequences for victims. They are illegal in the UK and there is support available to those affected.

About honour-based violence

Honour-based violence (HBV) is any type of violence that is committed against someone because their family or community believes they have brought shame or dishonour to them. HBV can include forced marriage, FGC, and other types of violence, such as beatings, murder, and threats.

Forced marriage 

A forced marriage is a marriage that takes place without the full and free consent of both parties. This means that one or both of the people involved are being pressured or forced to marry against their will.

Female genital cutting (FGC)

FGC is any procedure that involves the partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs. It is a harmful practice that can cause serious physical and psychological health problems.

Consent of the parents is required because the girl is a minor. When performed on an adult with consent, the procedure is usually described as clitoridectomy or may be part of labiaplasty or vaginoplasty. It does not apply to sex reassignment surgery or the genital modification of intersex individuals.

FGC is mainly practised in North East Africa and some areas of East and South East Asia. FGC is illegal in the UK

What you can do

If you or someone you know is being abused, there are things you can do to get help. 

  • If you or someone you know is being forced to marry, you can contact the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) at 020 7008 0151 or visit their website.
  • If you feel you may be forced into marriage during a trip abroad, contact the FMU before you go.
  • If a relative or friend has not returned home from a trip abroad and you feel they may have been forced to marry, contact the FMU.
  • It may be helpful to the FMU if you can give them details such as where the person has gone, when they were due back, and when you last heard from them.

The FMU can provide confidential information and advice to those involved in forced marriages. They work with agencies in the UK and abroad to prevent forced marriages from taking place and to support those already in forced marriages. Anyone in the UK, regardless of nationality, will be offered advice and support.

FMU contact details


 020 7008 0151 (Monday to Friday, 9 am-5 pm)

Tel Global Response Centre 

Out-of-hours telephone

020 7008 1500




GOV.UK - Forced Marriage

What should you do if you or someone you know is at risk of abuse or neglect

If you suspect that someone is being abused, please do not ignore it. Report a concern below.

Report concerns about an adult at risk in Knowsley

Chat with us