Better Together Hardship Fund - Community Food and Essentials

Purpose of this Privacy Notice

This privacy notice explains what information we collect about you, how we store this information, how we share this information and how we keep it safe and confidential. We want you to be confident that your information is kept safe, secure and for you to understand how and why we use it.

The Winter Hardship Grant is available as part of the Knowsley Better together Hardship Fund. The purpose of the grant is to provide support for residents in need with the extra costs of food and other essential items (such as cleaning products, toiletries and hygiene products).

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Borough Council (the Council)

Why do you need my information?

We require this information to assess your application so that we can:

  • Confirm account validity
  • Confirm your identity
  • Make payments of the grants
  • Detect and prevent fraud and error
  • Make sure public money is used correctly

What allows you to use my information?

The legal bases which allow the Council to lawfully process your data are:

  1. To process personal data, such as your name, address, or any other personal identifier, KMBC rely on the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 Article 6 (1) a Consent.
  2. To process special category data, such as your financial data or any other more sensitive data which requires more protection, KMBC reply on the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 Article 9 (2) a Explicit Consent.

We will collect your application data and supporting documents for the purposes outlined above in section ‘Why do you need my information’. Through the completion of your application form and submission of supporting documents we obtain you consent.

You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, consent to receiving communication regarding future funding opportunities and to withdraw your application for funding.

If you do wish to withdraw your consent for the processing of your data, please contact [email protected]

Who will my information be shared with?

Your information will not be shared outside of the Council.
If the Council, do have a requirement to share any personal data we will contact you and ask for your permission.
Information will be shared internally to other Council teams so they can carry out their roles and support delivery of the grant scheme e.g., revenues and benefits, finance, business support, public health.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Providing information is voluntary but, if you are not able to provide some or all the information, we may not be able to process your application for Food and Essentials grant allocations.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Your personal data will not be retained for longer than necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected. Data will only be held for the periods stated in our record retention schedule, after which it will be securely destroyed. Information held for these purposes are stated below, and will be held for the stated periods:

  • Grant claims – six years
  • Grants and awards – six years
  • Charity financial reports – six years
  • Charity accounts – six years
  • Correspondence – six years

Once retention periods have expired, all information will be permanently deleted from the electronic storage systems noted below.
In the event of an application being unsuccessful, or a funding agreement being terminated before funding is received, all information provided will be retained for a period of one year, after which it will be securely destroyed, unless there is a legal dispute (see below).
Retention will be in line with the Councils retention policy and will be retained in line with Data Protection legislation, your information will not be kept any longer than is necessary for the purpose of this project.                

How will my information be stored?

Data is stored in Council IT systems. Data is submitted through the Mendix Platform and stored securely within the Mendix Cloud Platform system. All data will also be extracted and stored within a secure SharePoint with limited access. The Council takes data control seriously and has internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused, or disclosed and is not accessed except by its employees in the performance of their duties.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018/ UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behavior (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the DPA 2018/UK GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form and send it to: -
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9UX
Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9UX


Or email: [email protected]
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Changes to our Privacy Notice

 We will update this privacy notice from time to time to reflect any changes to our ways of working. Please contact our data protection officer if you would like more information.

Date Privacy notice last updated September 2022

Chat with us