Damaged utility equipment

Manhole covers, cable boxes, and broadband cabinets on roads and footpaths are maintained by the utility companies, not the Council. Report any damage or defects directly to the utility company, find out more here.

All utility companies are responsible for their own equipment on roads and footpaths. These include manhole covers, cable lid boxes and broadband cabinets.

Damage or defects to the equipment must be reported directly to the utility companies. They are not the responsibility of the Council.

Manhole cover

Cadent - Manhole Covers 

Virgin Media Manhole cover

Virgin Media - Manhole Covers

Virgin media  - Broadband cabinets

Virgin Media - Broadband Cabinets

Virgin media - Tee Boxes

Virgin Media - Tee Boxes

BT Open Reach - Cabinets

BT Openreach - Broadband Cabinets

BT Openreach - Cabinets

BT Openreach - Broadband Cabinets

BT Openreach - Cable lids and covers

BT Openreach - Cable lids and covers

BT Openreach - Manhole covers

BT Openreach - Manhole Covers

How to report a problem

We've put together details of which equipment each utility company is responsible for and how you can report a problem to them. 

If you've found damaged utility equipment but you're not sure what the equipment is called and who is responsible, take a look at the images above.

United Utilities

To report an issue to United Utilities, complete an online form (external link) or call 0345 672 3723. 

Equipment includes

  • Manhole covers
  • Fire hydrants
  • Water meter boxes
  • Stop tap boxes.

Electricity North West

To report an issue to Electricity North West, call 0800 048 1820.

Equipment includes

  • Electric boxes
  • Manhole Covers.

Cadent gas network

To report an issue to Cadent gas network, call 0800 389 8000.

Equipment includes

  • Stop valve boxes
  • Manhole covers.

Virgin Media

To report an issue to Virgin Media, call 0870 888 3117.

Equipment includes

  • Wall mounted covers
  • Broadband  cabinets
  • Tee boxes
  • Manhole covers.

BT Openreach

To report an issue to BT Openreach, call 0800 023 2023 (option 1).

Equipment includes

  • Broadband cabinets
  • Cable lids and covers
  • Manhole covers.
Chat with us