Dropped kerbs

Find out more about dropped kerbs and how how to apply for one.

What is a dropped kerb

A dropped kerb enables vehicles to cross the public pavement (footway/verge) to access a private driveway. It allows safe, off-road parking and could add value to your property.

The dropped kerb access area remains part of the public highway and is maintained by the council. Utility apparatus, such as electricity and phone equipment within this area is maintained by the utility company such as Virgin Media and Scottish Power. 

The dropped kerb and access across the footway do not become part of your land and must not be used for parking vehicles, as overhanging or obstructing a public footway is an offence. 

Requirements for dropped kerbs

Driveway and planning considerations:

  • To qualify for a dropped kerb, you'll need space for a driveway on your property with a minimum size of 5.5 meters long by 3 meters wide to accommodate vehicle parking. The driveway must be in place before a dropped kerb can be constructed.  
  • Standard dropped kerbs are 3.6 meters wide, with an additional 0.9 meters on each side for transition curbs. The entire area from the kerb to your property will be strengthened to take the weight of a vehicle. Strengthening involves excavating and rebuilding the footpath to an appropriate thickness, often using concrete slabs.
  • Any existing street furniture or utility equipment will need to be moved at your own expense.

If you request an extension to an existing dropped kerb, the existing section won't be automatically renewed. Renewing the entire area will incur additional costs. Please contact us before applying to discuss your options.

Planning permission might be required if you request a dropped kerb on a classified road (typically major roads).


To request a quote for a dropped kerb, please contact our contractor, Tarmac.


 0800 023 2334




Tarmac will assess your request and provide a quotation outlining the next steps, including form submission and payment options. Once the process is complete you will receive an invoice from Knowsley Council, with a unique reference, and details on how you can pay. Once we’ve received payment, we will instruct Tarmac to proceed with the works. 

Please note that we may decline certain requests if the driveway lacks sufficient parking space, has visibility concerns, or could negatively impact parking for surrounding properties. Each request is evaluated individually, and the cost reflects the specific details of your property.

Access protection markings

An access protection (h-bar) marking will not be included in your dropped crossing quote unless you request it. 

Find out more about requesting this marking here. 

Using your own contractor

If you decide to use your own contractor it’s your responsibility to make sure that they:

  • Apply to us for Section 171 permit before they start any work, you will need to give them the reference number we gave you when we approved your request. 

To apply for a Section 171 permit, contact NRSWA.Team@knowsley.gov.uk.

  • Hold public liability insurance of at least £10 million, which indemnifies you and us.
  • Employ trained and accredited workers in line with the codes of practice in the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.
  • Accept and keep to any conditions which we set, for example saying that work can only take place during certain times, and any costs relating to this.
  • Accept a two-year maintenance period after the work is done, the contractor and you will be responsible for any claims.
  • Give us update notices confirming when the work has started and finished, and the registration of all reinstatement dimensions.
  • Give us 20 days notice before the work starts.
  • Plan the work out properly, and complete it efficiently.
  • Construct the works to the requirements set out in the Highways Construction Details.

Before any works commence, you must contact the council at knowsley.highways@tarmac.com for an inspection quotation. The authority is required to check all the works and there is a charge for this service. This charge differs depending on the extent of the works.

Chat with us