Apply for supported housing

Depending on your situation, you can apply for supported housing that is adapted according to your needs or provides extra care to help your day-to-day living.

Supported housing includes sheltered accommodation, nursing homes and extra care housing.

There are several different types of supported housing available and one may be more suitable for you than another.

Sheltered accommodation

If you’re receiving a pension and feel you’d benefit from living in an environment with extra security and access to assistance, you can apply for sheltered accommodation.

Benefits of sheltered accommodation:

  • Regular warden service: a good neighbour who can contact you every day, offer advice and help in an emergency
  • Properties are equipped with an intercom system so you can easily contact the warden
  • Some properties are equipped with laundry facilities and home help to provide you with regular assistance
  • Apply for sheltered accommodation

To apply for sheltered accommodation, speak to your local housing association or a registered social landlord.

Extra care housing

Extra care housing can provide a home for life for older people and others with particular accessibility and support needs, such as those who receive a support package. If you currently live in accommodation with a bath, but would benefit from an accessible shower, extra care housing may be suitable for you.


Nursing homes

Nursing homes are for people with illnesses or disabilities which mean they need nursing care on a regular basis. Depending on the needs and circumstances of the individual, they might be eligible nursing home care paid by the NHS.

If you are paying for your own care, you can choose any nursing home which accepts you.

Apply for a nursing home

Contact Social Services and your local health authority will assess if you or your family member can be placed in residential care.

Housing for people with mental health problems or learning disabilities

People with mental health problems or learning disabilities may benefit from specially adapted accommodation or regular support.

Contact Social Services for more information about what help is available.

Housing for people with physical disabilities

Accessible housing can help make life easier if you have a physical disability such as a visual impairment or use a wheelchair.

Join a housing association register or waiting list to apply.

Chat with us