When buying a property, you must perform a property search to identify any issues that may affect it.
This could include plans for a motorway at the bottom of your garden, charges against the land the property is built on, or listed or conservation status for the building.
Your solicitor or estate agent will normally carry out a property search for you.
Property searches might also be performed when you are taking out a second mortgage on your property.
What property searches can uncover
A search could uncover land charges which restrict how you can use the land, including conditions specified as part of planning permission, orders against what kinds of fuel you can burn at the property, or whether the property is in a conservation area, meaning you have to maintain its period features.
Request a property search
Knowsley Council’s Property Search Information Service inspects all registers relating to your property and produces a report of the results, returned by email, post or Document Exchange or collected in person.
VAT on Con29 fees will be imposed from 1 January 2017.
Changes to our pricing structure from 2021
The Council has been invited to join the Land Registry’s Local Land Charges Programme for 2021/22. The purpose of the programme is to provide a new Local Land Charges data service which standardises the information from local authorities in one accessible place.
The Land Registry’s standard fee for each Local Land Charges search is £15 (which is significantly less than the council’s own charge of £36). It is therefore proposed to align these charges before the transfer of the service takes place. To ensure that it continues to cover its ongoing costs in providing the full land charge service to customers (including the separate CON29R service), Knowsley Council proposes to increase its proposed charge for the CON29R service.
The overall charge to customers for a full land charge service will remain the same as for 2020/21 (but subject to an inflation rise for 2021/22). Following the transfer of the Local Land Charges service to the Land Registry the Council will continue to provide the CON29R service.
New fees from 1 April 2021:
You can choose different types of property search:
- Premium Service (LLC1 and CON29(R)) - £130.40
- Standard Service (LLC1 and CON29(R)) - £85.80
- Each additional parcel of land (LLC1 and CON29(R)) - £22.00
- Premium Service Form LLC1 Official Search of the Register - £20
- Standard Service Form LLC1 Official Search of the Register - £15
- Each additional parcel of land - £10.00
- Premium Service Form CON29(R) Enquiries of the Local Authority - £110.40
- Standard Service Form CON29(R) Enquiries of the Local Authority - £70.80
- Each additional parcel of land - £12.00
CON29(O) “Optional” Enquiries submitted:
Each enquiry (4 – 22) - £12.00
Additional Solicitor own enquiry (per enquiry)
The fee will be notified to the enquirier by the relevant answering department prior to the response.
All charges are inclusive of VAT charged at the appropriate rate.
How to submit your search request
- Download and complete the search request form (Word)
- Return by email (for account holders only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, send by post or Document Exchange to:
Property Search Information Service
Municipal Building, Archway Road
Document exchange: DX713891 Huyton 3
Or in person to Huyton One Stop Shop
- Accompany your form with the appropriate fee.
Search registers in person
You are able to book a free inspection search online. This allows you to carry out up to two searches for residential or commercial properties.
When booking, you must provide:
- Name and contact details
- Full postal address of the property or land which is the subject of the search
- A plan of the property clearly outlining the area
The average turnaround for searches is three to four working days.
Useful information for home buyers
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has published guidance on how to buy and sell a home. View these guides on the Gov.uk website.