If you want to dispose of large or heavy items which won’t go into your household waste bin, you can arrange for them to be collected separately.
We collect a large range of bulky items, including furniture, kitchen appliances and items from your garden or yard.
Items we collect
Arranging a collection
It costs £22 to have up to five items collected and £44 for between six and 10 items.
Unfortunately, there are no discounts for those on benefits, the elderly, disabled, or those receiving an assisted collection. However, dispensations for financial hardship can be made at the council’s discretion. You can apply for this during the online booking process.
If you have no internet access at home - you can visit your local library where support will be available if required.
You can also chat with one of our customer services advisors.
On collection day:
When you arrange the collection, you will agree which day your items will be taken. The bulky items will be collected between 7am and 4pm on the agreed day.
You need to:
- Take apart larger items as much as you can
- Ensure that mattresses, sofas and similar items are protected from the rain - if these items become saturated they may be too heavy to remove
- Leave the items in front of your property before 7am on collection day
- Make sure access to your property is clear – please don’t park across your drive
The collection team will remove your items with care. We accept no responsibility for any damage caused to your property during collection, unless it was caused by the negligence of our staff or contractors.
Items which cannot be collected
When you make your booking, you will agree which items are to be removed. However, the collection team will not be able to take them from your property if:
- The collection team think it is unsafe to enter the property
- The items were not left on the ground floor and there is no suitable lift available to use
- If your bulky items are not taken, you will receive a notice through your door explaining why they were not collected and who you need to contact.
Using private contractors to remove waste
If you use a private contractor to collect your household, garden or construction waste, check they're registered with the Environment Agency and hold a waste carriers licence. You could face an unlimited fine if you don’t.
Amending or cancelling your booking
To amend or cancel your booking, log in to your account on the online portal.
You will be able to amend or cancel your bulky waste collection any time before 12pm the day before your collection date and will receive a full refund if you cancel in time. To do this, select 'bulky waste collections', go to your 'existing bookings', highlight the booking then select 'amend' or 'cancel'.
Book a bulky waste collection