Benefits and grants for disabled people

If you are registered disabled, or care for somebody who is, you may be entitled to some benefits and grants to help you.

These could include:

Attendance allowance

This is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care because they are physically or mentally disabled.  Even if you have savings or an income you can usually still receive attendance allowance. provides more information and details about how to apply for attendance allowance.

Carers’ allowance

You could receive the Carers’ Allowance if you are aged over 16 and spend more than 35 hours a week caring for someone who gets any of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (middle or higher rate care)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance

However, if you are in full time education or earn over a certain amount, you won’t be able to get this allowance.
The Department for Work and Pensions provide more information about whether you qualify for Carers’ Allowance and how to claim it .

Direct Payments

Direct payment is a cash payment from social services which allows you to have more control over the services you receive.
Most people receiving social services from the council have a right to direct payments. This includes:

  • Older people who have been assessed as needing care services
  • Disabled people aged 16 and over, including those with short and long term needs
  • Carers, in place of receiving carers’ services
  • Families with disabled children for children’s services
  • Disabled parents for children’s services.

You will need to have a care assessment to identify your needs, and then you can choose to receive the money and pay for services yourself. This means you can choose the exact service you want, when you want it and who provides it to you.
Direct Payments are not means tested and will not affect your other benefits. They are not taxable.
The money will be paid directly into your bank account on a monthly basis.
If you would like more information, the Direct Payment Support Service at Knowsley Disability Concern can help you. You can phone them on 0151 480 8873 or email

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children

This is a tax-free benefit for children aged under 16. Adults over 16 should apply for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who in under 16 and:

  • Has difficulties walking, and or
  • Needs more looking after than a child of the same age

The amount you could get is between £21 and £134.40 a week, depending on the level of help the child needs. The child may need an assessment to work out what help they need. provides more information about who is eligible for Disability Living Allowance and how to apply.

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom provide a heating system suitable for your needs adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

To find out more, including how to apply, contact the Knowsley Access Team on 0151 443 2600 or email

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.
You could get between £21 to £134.40 a week to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.
You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Adults currently getting Disability Living Allowance

PIP started to replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64 from 8 April 2013.
Use the PIP checker to find out if and when PIP affects your DLA.
You can contact a local support organisation to get help understanding PIP.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA has replaced Incapacity Benefit. If you are ill or disabled, it can offer you financial support if you’re unable to work and personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to.

  • You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.
  • You might be transferred to ESA if you’ve been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.
  • You might have to go to regular interviews with Jobcentre Plus to keep getting ESA. provides more information about who is eligible for ESA and how to apply.