Council Tax privacy notice

Find out about the Council Tax privacy notice here.

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

We need your information to:

  • Determine who is liable for council tax at the property
  • Check if you are eligible for discounts, disregards, exemptions or other reductions when calculating council tax for the property
  • Administer the collection and recovery of council tax

We will produce statistics from user data that will help us review and improve our services in the future. These statistics are anonymised and no individuals can be identified from the reports.

What allows you to use my information?

  • Local Government Finance Act 1992 and subsequent amending legislation
  • The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992

Who will my information be shared with?

Your information may be shared with:

  • Public agencies, government departments and other organisations as required, to support the collection and recovery of council tax. This may include:-
  • Courts and Tribunals including the Magistrates Courts and the Valuation Office Agency;
  • Ombudsman and regulatory authorities;
  • Debt collection, enforcement and tracing agents;
  • The Department for Work and Pensions – for requests for attachments of benefits;
  • Employers - for requests for attachments to earnings;
  • Law enforcement and prosecuting authorities.
  • Other Council departments for the purposes of delivering other council activities - to ensure our records are accurate and up-to-date, to improve the standard of the services we deliver, and to perform any of our statutory duties, including enforcement duties and any other duties related to Public Health.
  • Other bodies, where the law allows this, for the purposes of preventing or detecting fraud.  The Council participates in fraud initiatives, including the National Fraud Initiative, and may verify the data we hold with other organisations, including other local authorities and credit reference agencies.
  • Other people, or organisations/agencies, you have given us consent to share information with. This may include appointees, Members of Parliament and local Councillors.
  • We may use your data for other purposes if it is lawful to do so.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don't?

You are required to provide the information that we need to administer, collect and recover Council Tax under The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.  If you do not provide the information required, or if you make a false statement, you may be required to pay a penalty.

How long will you keep this data and why?

Council Tax liability and collection information is retained for financial and audit purposes from April 1993. Application forms and other information that you provide in respect of Council Tax liability will be retained for up to seven years. We only hold information as long as it is needed or required by law and then dispose of it securely.

How will my information be stored?

Your information will be stored in line with our information security guideline.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regard to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: - 

Data Protection Officer

Knowsley Council

Westmorland Road


L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say form.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane




Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45


Chat with us