Adult social care privacy notice

Find out about adult social care privacy notice here.

The following privacy notice applies to Adult Social Care. This includes the Prevention and Safeguarding Team, Long Term and Review Team and Integrated Hospital Discharge Team.

The Care Act 2014 places a duty on us to work closely with Health colleagues to ensure the best level of care is delivered to our citizens. For further information please see the following websites:

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Council

Why do you need my information?

Knowsley Council are the Data Controller under the terms of the Data Protection legislation and we are legally responsible for ensuring that all personal information that we process, hold, obtain, record, use or share about you is done in compliance with the data protection principles. We process and hold information in order to provide care and support services and to support vulnerable adults, the elderly, those with physical disabilities and carers.

The Care Act 2014 has given local authorities the power to perform public health functions. As such the Council has a duty to improve the health of the people and responsibility for commissioning appropriate public health services and the statutory responsibilities for public health services as clearly set out in the Care Act 2014.

This notice will explain how we use and share your information. Information may be collected in many different ways including on paper, by telephone, electronically or by a member of staff in person.

What information do we hold?

You will be asked personal questions about all your personal needs, your home circumstances, your health, social life and financial circumstances. Information will also be provided by staff who care for you including nurses, doctors, therapists and care providers. This information will include details about:

  • Your medical history
  • Your needs and the support you require
  • Where you live
  • Your family and friends
  • Your money and your financial circumstances
  • Your safety and any concerns about this

What allows you to use my information?

According to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, we must have a reason to collect and use your information.

This will be:-

  • To deliver services and support you
  • To enable us to manage the services we provide
  • To train and manage our workers who deliver those services
  • To investigate any worries or complaints you may have about our services
  • To check the quality of our services
  • To help with research and planning of new services

Who will my information be shared with?

We use a range of organisations to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

We may also share your personal information with other organisations that enable us to meet our reasons for lawful processing, as detailed above. Organisations may include, but are not limited to:

  • Other Council Departments. For example, housing, environmental health
  • Private and National Health Services. For example, GPs, hospitals, community nursing teams.
  • Independent care organisations
  • Support and advice services
  • Voluntary services and organisations
  • Advocacy services
  • Housing associations
  • Department for Works and Pensions
  • Office of the Public Guardian
  • Police
  • NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • North West Assistant Directors of Adult Social Services
  • Other Local Authorities

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Where necessary, the Council may need to use your information in line with legal requirements and powers.

If you are asked for consent, your wishes will be respected. You can change your mind at any time and withdraw your consent.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

We will only retain information for as long as it is required. A copy of the council’s retention schedule is available on request.

How will my information be stored?

Your information is kept in the adult social care system in line with the council’s record retention policies.  These policies are based on Government record retention regulations and best practice. 

The council’s data security and confidentiality policies ensure that your information is protected, and available only to staff directly involved in your care. These policies are available on request.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?

Not applicable

Will my data be transferred abroad?

Not applicable

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

You have the right to:

  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used.
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to seek redress, either through the ICO, or through the courts
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Council to remove data that we hold about you.
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request.
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-

Data Protection Officer

Knowsley Council

Westmorland Road


L36 9GL

Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer

Knowsley Council

Westmorland Road


L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say form.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane




Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45


Chat with us