Apply to demolish a building

A demolition is any situation where a building is completely removed. If you are planning to demolish a building, you must let us know at least six weeks before.

In order to carry out demolition work, it is necessary to notify the Council under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984. This requirement applies to the demolition of any building or part of a building greater than 50m3.

The notice should be submitted in writing to the Building Control Team and include details of the building and the nature of the demolition work to be carried out.

The Council will respond within six weeks with appropriate notices and consultation under Sections 81 and 82 of the Act. The conditions that the person carrying out demolition will need to comply with will be given within the Section 81 Notice issued by the Council.

How to tell us about a demolition

Download and complete the Section 80 demolition form above and return via post or email:


Planning Services

PO Box 26

Archway Road


L36 9FB


Please ensure you include the following with your form:

  • A full method statement
  • A location plan of the building and adjoining streets
  • A list of occupiers adjacent to the property

Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll receive a counter notice.

The counter notice details what you should do about:

  • Clearing and making the site safe
  • Shoring adjoining buildings and weatherproofing
  • Terminating services such as drains and utilities (gas, water and electricity)

Who you need to tell about the demolition

You must send a copy of the demolition notice to:

  • Owners and occupiers of buildings adjacent to the site
  • The public gas and electricity suppliers
  • The water authority


The cost of this process is £250.

This can be paid:

  • Online using the Council’s 24 hour secure Internet payments service
  • By sending a cheque
  • Over the phone by calling 0151 443 2513.

When you don’t need to give notice of demolition

You normally don’t need to give notice when demolishing a:

  • Building that has a cubic content of 50m3 or less, measured externally
  • Conservatory, greenhouse, shed or prefabricated garage that’s part of a larger building
  • A standalone agricultural building

Please contact for more advice or information.

Listed and Conservation Area buildings

Any kind of work on listed or conservation area buildings needs special permission. 

You should speak to us before carrying out any building work in a conservation area or on a listed building.  Undertaking work without permission can result in legal action.

Other consent required

In some cases, depending on the type of building being demolished or the area in which it is situated, consent may be required under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and Town and Country Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, if:

  • The building is a listed building
  • It is within a conservation area
  • The building is a dwelling house or is a building adjoining a dwelling house and certain other buildings where the volume exceeds 50m3

Further Information

Further information can be found by visiting the Planning Portal or by contacting the Building Control team on 0151 443 2380 or email

Chat with us