Homelessness and homelessness prevention guidance

If you think you may be homeless or threatened with homelessness, we may be able to help you to remain in your home or move to another home. Find out more here.

You are considered homeless if you

  • Have no home in the UK or elsewhere that you have a legal right to occupy.
  • Have a movable home such as a boat or caravan and there is nowhere it can be placed lawfully.
  • Are at risk of harm if you stay in your current home.

Threatened homelessness

You are considered threatened with homelessness if you:

  • Are likely to become homeless in 56 days.
  • Have received a valid notice to quit (S21 notice).
  • Have received a notice that your landlord requires possession of your accommodation (NOSP) which expires within 56 days.

How we can help

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, we may be able to help you to remain in your home or move to another home. The earlier you contact us, the more we will be able to help you.

Rough sleeping

If you're sleeping rough or know someone who is sleeping rough you can contact the Housing Solutions team for help.

Armed forces

If you've been a member of the armed forces, there are a range of organisations that can offer help and support, including housing. You can find further details on the Armed Forces Community Covenant section. 

Domestic abuse

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness due to domestic violence please contact us for support and assistance. Visit our support with domestic violence page for more information.

Hospital discharge

If you are in the hospital and will be unable to return home due to your health, we can help you make adaptations to your home or find suitable accommodation.

Please contact our Housing Solutions team as soon as possible to discuss your specific needs. We will work with you and any relevant professionals to ensure you have a place to stay when you are discharged from the hospital.

Prison release

If you are in prison or youth detention and will have no home upon release, we can help you find suitable accommodation. We will work with you and any professionals involved to assess your needs and explore housing options.

Care leavers

Care leavers can access various services to help them with accommodation and support.

For details of available assistance and contact information, visit the Knowsley Care Leavers - Local Offer website.

If you're a care leaver facing homelessness, fill out our online form or call us for further assistance.

16 and 17 year olds

If you're 16 or 17 and homeless or at risk of homelessness, Housing Solutions and Children's Social Care will conduct a joint assessment to discuss your circumstances and support needs. This assessment aims to prevent homelessness and assist in returning you home when appropriate.

What happens next

If you are homeless, we will assess your circumstances to see if you have local connections in the area. We will also talk to you about your situation and any support you may need. We will then work with you to complete a Personal Housing Plan and agree with you what you need to do and also what we need to do to help you. We will keep you up to date with what we are doing to help you throughout the application process. You will also need to keep in touch with us regularly to let us know what you have done from your Personal Housing Plan.

Get help

Complete our online form 

Or call us on 0151 443 2333.

Chat with us