Noise complaints

A statutory noise nuisance is a type of noise that is unreasonable and interferes with your enjoyment of your property. It can include noise from neighbours, businesses, or other sources. Find out about the process of making a complaint here.

We cannot investigate a noise complaint without a log sheet being completed first.

How we measure a noise nuisance 

  • The frequency and duration of the noise
  • The context, such as the location, other noise sources nearby, and the time of day
  • The volume of the noise
  • Any tonal elements of the noise, such as a high-pitched whine

We can investigate

  • Persistent dog barking
  • Loud noises or music
  • Intruder alarms (although this is not dealt with under statutory nuisance)
  • Persistent noise from musical instruments
  • Noise from businesses 

We cannot investigate

  • Anonymous complaints
  • A one-off party
  • Anti-social behaviour*
  • Talking, laughing, Neighbours arguing or noise due to poor sound insulation between properties
  • Day-to-day domestic noise (footsteps, lawn mowers, washing machine, vacuuming)
  • Noise from people in the street for example traffic noise and revving engines
  • Noise from playing children
  • Noise from DIY, unless persistent

*Contact the Police on 101 or 999 if it is an emergency. Email for any general reports of Anti-Social Behaviour

What can you do if you are experiencing a statutory noise nuisance

  1. If you feel comfortable, try talking to your neighbour directly about the noise. Most people are unaware of how much their noise is disturbing others and will be happy to take steps to reduce it.
  2. If the noise is coming from a property that is owned by a housing association or privately rented, contact the landlord. Most tenancy agreements include a clause that states that tenants must not cause a disturbance to their neighbours.
  3. If the noise is coming from a business or other commercial premises, contact your local council.

What we can do to help

If you have reported a potential statutory noise nuisance to the council, they will investigate it. They may visit your property to witness the noise or install noise monitoring equipment. If the council finds that there is a statutory noise nuisance, they can take action, such as:

  • Serving an Abatement Notice, which requires the person responsible for the noise to stop making it
  • Seizing equipment that is causing the noise
  • Prosecuting the offender

How to report a noise nuisance to the council

To report a noise nuisance to the council, you will need to complete a noise log. This will help the council to understand the nature of the noise and how it is affecting you.

We will only contact you and investigate the noise further if you have completed and returned the noise log sheets. 

The noise log sheets are needed to show that the noise is a potential statutory nuisance.

If the noise log sheets do not provide enough evidence of a statutory nuisance, we will close the case and let you know how you can take private action.

Download a noise log

Once you have completed the noise log, return it to the council within 21 days.


Return to 


Environmental Health

2nd Floor

Municipal Building

Archway Road


L36 9FB


0151 443 4712


Once you have completed a noise log 

Please then report a noise complaint using the button below. The council will not investigate anonymous complaints, so you must provide your name and contact details.

Report a noise complaint


Chat with us