Report a trading standards issue

Having an issue with a product or service can be frustrating. If you feel as though something you have purchased is not up to acceptable standard you can report it to Citizens Advice, find out more here.

If you have a problem with a product or service, you can contact Trading Standards to investigate. You can report faulty items, counterfeit goods, age-restricted products being sold to minors, door-to-door crime incidents, and scams. Counterfeit goods include but are not limited to DVDs, CDs, alcohol and illicit tobacco.

How to report a trading standards issue

Call the National Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133.

For information about your rights as a consumer and how to report an issue to Trading Standards Visit the National Citizens' Advice Consumer Service website.

You can download letter templates to use if you want to complain to a company about faulty goods or services through the Citizens Advice website.

What to expect when you report 

All calls are treated in the strictest of confidence and the trader will not find out who reported them. 

Trading Standards will investigate your report and take appropriate action.

Advice for businesses

Visit the Business Companion website for bespoke advice on how to comply with the law.

Chat with us