Tacit consent

If the council doesn't contact you within the given time, your application is considered approved. But this doesn't apply to applications that affect safety, health, animals, or the environment. Find out more here.

Tacit consent explained

Tacit consent means that if the council does not process your application within the stated timeframe, you can assume that your application has been approved. 

This applies to all types of applications, except for those that could impact public safety, public health, animal welfare, or the environment.

When tacit consent applies

Tacit consent applies when you have submitted a complete application with all required information and documents, including the fee if applicable. 

The clock starts ticking from the moment you submit your application.

What tacit consent does not apply to 

There are four exceptions to tacit consent:

  • Pet shop licences
  • Environmental permits
  • Applications that could impact public safety
  • Applications that could impact public health

If you are applying for one of these exceptions, you must contact the council if you feel that there is a delay in processing your application. 

You should not assume that you have tacit consent.

What happens if there is an error in your application

If the council spots an error or omission in your application, they will place it on hold until the problem is rectified. You will be notified if this occurs.

What happens if someone objects to your application

If someone objects to your application, the matter may be referred to a licencing panel. The council will notify you in writing if this occurs. 

The period for processing your application will then be extended to the date on which the application is determined at the hearing. 

The council will notify you of the outcome of the hearing within ten working days after the day of the hearing.

Tacit consent applies to all applications, regardless of how they are submitted

You can submit applications through the post, in person, or by email.

However, if you submit your application by post, you must have proof of delivery from a post office or recognized courier.

Extended timescales

Yes, the council can extend the timescales for processing your application if there are complex issues involved. You will be notified of the extension and reasons for the delay before the expiry of the original period.

Chat with us