Waste duty of care

You have a duty of care to dispose of your waste responsibly, find out more about ways to comply and advice for businesses.

Everyone who produces waste has a duty of care to ensure that it is disposed of properly and transferred to someone who is authorised to receive it. This is under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

If your waste is found illegally fly tipped, you could be held responsible and prosecuted.

Tips on how to comply with your waste duty of care

Check that the company you are using to remove your waste is registered with the Environment Agency. 

You can do this by calling 03708 506506 or visiting their website.

Ask the company to see their registration certificate. 

This should start with CBDU, followed by a set of numbers. Take a photo of the certificate if possible.

Do not pay cash. 

Ask for an invoice or receipt that includes the business details and pay by a secure payment method or cheque. This will make it easier to trace the payment if your waste is fly tipped.

Record the details of the person collecting your waste and the vehicles used. 

This includes the make, model, colour, and registration mark.

Be wary of companies that offer their services at a very low price. 

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you’re hiring a skip, the average cost should be around £150

Waste carrier registration 

A waste carrier registration is normally needed for the following categories

  • All building and associated trades
  • Landscape gardeners, tree fellers and surgeons
  • House clearers
  • Retail establishments and
  • Scrap metal dealers

Using private contractors

If you hire a private contractor to collect household, garden, or construction waste, ensure they're registered with the Environment Agency and hold a waste carrier's licence. Failure to do so could result in an unlimited fine.


Businesses have additional responsibilities under the waste duty of care. In addition to the tips above, you must also

  • Provide an accurate description of the waste when it is transferred to another person.
  • Keep all records for a minimum of two years.

Failure to comply with the waste duty of care requirements is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution.

Knowsley Household Recycling and Waste Centres

Alternatively, residents can dispose of their waste at Knowsley’s two Household Recycling and Waste Centres run by the Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority.

Find out more information here.

Chat with us