Report benefit fraud

Find out what benefit fraud is and how to report it if you suspect somebody.

If you suspect somebody is committing benefit fraud against Knowsley Council, you can report it online or call the fraud hotline on 0800 0730 532.

All suspected benefit frauds are investigated, and all information is treated with the strictest confidence.

What is benefit fraud

Benefit fraud is simply the criminal act of knowingly claiming Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Social Security benefits. It can result from providing false information or failing to declare changes in circumstances.

It is sometimes considered a victimless crime, yet this could not be further from the truth.

Types of benefit fraud

Benefit can be claimed fraudulently by:

  • Failing to declare work - involves claimants receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support but failing to declare their earned income.
  • Non-disclosure of property, capital or income - the claimant does not tell us about all their income, savings, capital or property so that the amount of benefit they get is higher than it should be
  • Non-disclosure of partner (living together as man and wife) - the claimant not telling us that they have a partner (who is often working) knowing that this would mean that they would not be entitled to benefit
  • Non-declaration of non-dependants or sub-tenants - a claimant does not tell us about other adults living in the property to keep or increase their benefit entitlement
  • False claims by homeowners - where the property owner falsely claims benefit, stating that they are paying rent for the property. They invent a fictitious landlord and use false rent books and tenancy agreements
  • False address or failing to declare a change of address - the claimant is claiming benefit for an address where they do not live
  • Landlord fraud – where a landlord continues to receive benefits paid directly to themselves when they know that the claimant has left the premises
  • Fictitious tenancies - where a tenancy is created between friends or family, where the property would not usually be rented, to obtain benefits to which they are not entitled
Chat with us