Support available from DWP

Find out whether you are entitled to help from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

If you are claiming a qualifying benefit from the DWP, you must check what support you could receive from them before applying to the Council’s Emergency Support Scheme. We cannot duplicate support available elsewhere.

  • Income support
  • Jobseeker’s allowance – income-based
  • Employment and support allowance – income-related
  • Pension credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing benefit and/or council tax reduction

Short-Term Benefit Advances

For new benefit applicants or existing claims with a significant change of circumstance. If you have recently applied for benefit, you can apply for a Short-Term Benefit Advance. Visit GOV.UK for more information.

Budgeting Loans

To help pay for essential items. You can find out more here or pick up an application form from your local Jobcentre Plus.

Hardship Payments for those who have received a benefit sanction

To claim Hardship Payments, you will need to complete form JSA ESA10JP at your local Jobcentre Plus office or call 0800 169 0310.

Find out more about the other financial advice and support available to you.

Chat with us