Paying for care

If you receive direct support from the local authority you may have to contribute to the cost of your care, find out more here.

In England, everyone who receives adult social care services must pay for their care. You will need to contribute to the cost of your care services unless your assets, savings, and income are very low.

Help paying your care

Yes, there are a number of ways to get help paying for your care in England. If you have more than £23,250 in savings or other investments, you will be considered a "self-funder" and will need to pay the full cost of your care and support services.

You can find local care and support services on The Live Well Directory.

What counts towards the £23,250

Any money you have in bank accounts, ISAs, shares, cash, land or property that you own but don’t live in, and any other investments you have. The property that you live in will only be taken into account if you need to go into residential care.

If you have less than £23,250

You may still have to pay towards the cost of your care and support, but you may not have to pay for all of it. To find out how much you will need to contribute, we will do a financial assessment which looks at your income, savings, and capital.

More information

You can find out more information about financial assessments in our Charging Policy below.


Chat with us