When buying a property, you must perform a property search to identify any issues that may affect it.
This could include plans for a motorway at the bottom of your garden, charges against the land the property is built on, or listed or conservation status for the building.
Your solicitor or estate agent will normally carry out a property search for you.
Property searches might also be performed when you are taking out a second mortgage on your property.
What property searches can uncover
A search could uncover land charges which restrict how you can use the land, including conditions specified as part of planning permission, orders against what kinds of fuel you can burn at the property, or whether the property is in a conservation area, meaning you have to maintain its period features.
Request a property search
Knowsley Council’s Property Search Information Service inspects all registers relating to your property and produces a report of the results, returned by email, post or Document Exchange or collected in person.
VAT on Con29 fees will be imposed from 1 January 2017.
These new fees come into effect from 1 April 2017.
You can choose different types of property search:
- Premium Service - £99.00
- Standard Service (LLC1 and CON29(R)) - £68.20
- Each additional parcel of land (LLC1 and CON29(R)) - £18.15
- Premium Service Form LLC1 Official Search of the Register - £45.00
- Standard Service Form LLC1 Official Search of the Register - £31.00
- Each additional parcel of land - £8.25
- Premium Service Form CON29(R) Enquiries of the Local Authority - £54.00
- Standard Service Form CON29(R) Enquiries of the Local Authority - £37.20
- Each additional parcel of land - £9.90
CON29(O) “Optional” Enquiries submitted:
Each enquiry (4 – 22) - £9.90
Additional Solicitor own enquiry (per enquiry)
The fee will be notified to the enquirier by the relevant answering department prior to the response.
All charges are inclusive of VAT charged at the appropriate rate.
How to submit your search request
- Download and complete the search request form (Word)
- Return by email (for account holders only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, send by post or Document Exchange to:
Property Search Information Service
Municipal Building, Archway Road
Document exchange: DX713891 Huyton 3
Or in person to Huyton One Stop Shop
- Accompany your form with the appropriate fee.
Search registers in person
Call 0151 443 3511 to make an appointment to inspect search information for free at Huyton One Stop Shop and carry out up-to two searches for residential or commercial properties.
When booking, you must provide:
- Name and contact details
- Full postal address of the property or land which is the subject of the search
- A plan of the property clearly outlining the area
After you’ve booked your appointment, you must email plans to email@example.com to keep your appointment.
The average turnaround for searches is three to four working days.