If a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership took place in Knowsley, you can apply for a copy certificate
*From 1 April 2017, our Copy Certificate service is changing. The standard service costs £10 and the certificate will be ready for collection in 5 working days. Alternatively it can be posted out by Royal Mail Signed For 1st Class for a fee of £3.00. A 2 hour priority service will be available for £31.00.
- Full birth certificate (includes parents' names) £10.
- Short birth certificate £10 (this does not include details of the parents and may not always be accepted by passport offices or other organisations).
- Marriage or civil partnership certificate £10.
- Death certificate £10.
Certificates issued at the time of registration are £4 each.
How to apply
There are two ways to make an application for a copy certificate:
- In person by visiting us at the address on the right.
If you apply in person, certificates will be ready for collection in 48 working hours. Alternatively, your certificate can be posted out for an extra fee of £1.00.
- By post. You can write to Knowsley Register Office, High Street, Prescot L34 3LD
Postal applications are sent out within five working days of receipt.
You will need to enclose a cheque or postal order made payable to Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, a stamped addressed envelope and the following details.
- Birth – full name at birth, date and place of birth, parents’ full names, including mother’s maiden name.
- Death – full name of deceased and the place and date of death.
- Marriage or civil partnership – full name of both parties before marriage or partnership and the date and place of the marriage or partnership.
Family history certificates
Please note that certificates for family history research will be issued as quickly as possible, but requests may take longer due to the extra search time required.
Express Copy Certificate Service
An Express Copy Certificate Service is available in our Register Office, which means you will receive your copy certificate within one hour for a fee of £34.00. To use the Express Service, you must apply in person at the Register Office. The service will be available at the following times:
- 9am-4pm (Monday to Thursday)
- 9am-3pm (Friday)