Find out your waste collection day
From Monday, 6 March garden waste (blue bin) collections will be made once every three weeks. Some residents may also have a different collection day.
Search by postcode to find out when your bins are emptied.
Report a missed bin collection.
Putting your bins out
Please leave your bin out with the lid fully closed before 7am on your collection day and it will be emptied between 7am and 3pm.
You can leave extra recycling next to your grey bin if it is put in a cardboard box or clear plastic bag (not a bin bag or carrier bag). Excess waste left next to your maroon or blue bins will not be collected. Please see Waste collection and recycling policies for more information.
You can take any extra waste to Household Waste Recycling Centres at Wilson Road in Huyton and Depot Road in Kirkby.
What to put in each bin
|Recycling bin (grey)
||General waste (maroon)
||Garden waste (blue)
- Food/cereal boxes
- Phone books
- Food tins and drink cans (place lids inside cans)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic – bottle shaped plastics only
- Papers, newspapers and magazines
- Junk mail
- Food waste
- General waste and items that cannot be recycled.
Building materials or rubble are not accepted
- Lawn cuttings
- Shredded paper
- Finished flowers
- Hedge and tree clippings
- Twigs and branches
- Plants and weeds
- Untreated bark and wood chippings
- Pet bedding (clean or soiled)
Request a new bin
You can request a new bin if yours is damaged or has been lost or stolen. There is no charge for a replacement grey or blue bin. The charges for maroon bins are as follows:
- 240 litre wheeled maroon bin - £23
- 360* litre wheeled maroon bin - £45
*Please note this option is only available if the bin being replaced is/was a 360 litre wheeled bin and there are six people or more in your household (see large families below)
Further information regarding the charges is provided in our Frequently Asked Questions.
If there are six or more people in your household, you can apply for a large maroon bin or a second maroon bin. Residents are encouraged to request an additional recycling bin. Further information on the items of waste that can be recycled is provided in the table above.
Request a bin online or call 0151 443 2400
Help with putting your bin out
If you are elderly or have a disability and you do not have anyone else at home to help put your bin out, we may be able to help you.
Call 0151 443 2400 or request help online.
Disposing of other items
- For large or bulky items please visit our large item collection page
- Batteries and bulbs can be recycled at any council One Stop Shop
- To remove hazardous waste such as asbestos, fuels and oils, industrial chemicals, weed killer and creosote, call the Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority on 0151 255 1444
- Please call 0151 443 2400 if you find hazardous waste on public land in Knowsley
- Clinical waste collections for private and nursing homes, residential households, doctors and clinics can be arranged by contacting your doctor’s surgery or local health centre
Tips for reducing waste
You can reduce the amount of waste produced by your household by: