Financial advice and support

Call the Council’s dedicated Financial Advice line on 443 3300 to find out more about free and confidential local money & debt advice and credit unions who can offer affordable credit. 

Our ‘Financial Advice and Support’ leaflet details free local services who can help you manage your money or claim the benefits you are entitled to.

There are a number of local and national organisations offering free and impartial financial advice and support, including credit unions, local advice agencies and national advice agencies.

Credit unions in Knowsley

Credit unions are member-owned, non-profit making financial co-operatives which offer convenient, low cost financial products and services to their members, including loans, insurance and savings accounts. Some credit unions may also offer emergency loans.

More information on credit unions is available at the Association of British Credit Unions website.

The Mersey Money site has a postcode search which will help you to find a credit union near to you.

Enterprise Credit Union 
Hall Lane, Huyton, L36 6AX.
Tel: 0151 482 0177.

With sub-offices in Prescot, Page Moss and Halewood.  See the ECU website for details and opening times

Knowsley Mutual Credit Union
11 Market Square, Kirkby, L32 8RG.
Tel: 0151 545 3380.

Southdene Credit Union
63/65 Henlow Avenue, Kirkby, L32 9RN.
Tel: 0151 548 5200.

Local Money Advice Agencies

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Your local CAB offers free impartial advice on legal, debt, housing, employment and benefit issues. For more information visit the Knowsley Citizens Advice Bureau website.

There are Citizens Advice Bureau in Halewood, Huyton, Kirkby, Stockbridge Village and Halewood. Telephone advice is available Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm by calling 0344 826 9694.  You can email on

Prescot and Whiston Community Advice Centre
The Prescot Centre, Eccleston Street, Prescot L34 5GA. Tel: 0151 443 4639

This centre provides free and confidential welfare benefits advice and signposting to other services.  A drop in service operates from 9.15 – 1pm Monday to Friday and Saturday mornings.  A Housing Solicitor provides free advice from the Centre.  Call to find out more or to book an appointment.

Jubilee Debt Advice

JDA offers free, confidential one-to-one advice on managing debts and budgeting.  Affiliated with Community Money Advice, advisors are trained to support clients towards financial stability.

Visit the website for details of their drop in sessions or call 0151 546 0470 / email

Money Advice & Budgeting Service (MABS)

Provides free, confidential, impartial budgeting and debt advice to members or potential members of Enterprise Credit Union in the Knowsley, Liverpool and St Helens areas.  Includes ‘financial health checks’ to check benefit entitlements.  They also provide free financial capability education and skills sessions to community groups.

Drop in Monday – Thursday 9 – 1 and 1.30 – 3pm, call for an appointment 0151 292 5022 or email

Money Advice & Budgeting Service
Enterprise Credit Union
110-112 Liverpool Road
L36 3RF

Other Support Available

The British Gas Energy Trust 

The British Gas Energy Trust is a registered charity operating since 2004, to help individuals and families in poverty, suffering, or other distress who are struggling to pay their gas and/or electricity debts. The aim of the trust is to give vulnerable families and individuals a fresh start enabling them to remain debt free moving forward. 

United Utilities Trust Fund 

United Utilities Trust Fund is an independent grant making trust committed to helping people out of poverty and debt. People who are unable to meet the cost of water charges, and who live in the United Utilities area, can apply for help.

NHS Healthy Start 

If you are pregnant or have a child under 4 years old, you could get Healthy Start vouchers to help buy some basic foods. This means-tested scheme provides vouchers to spend with local retailers.

National Money Advice Agencies

Community Legal Advice
Community Legal Advice offer free, confidential and independent legal advice. Call 0845 345 4345 for more information.

Consumer Direct
Consumer Direct (0845 404 0506) give practical advice on all kinds of consumer problems from credit issues to faulty household appliances.

Debt Support Trust
This registered charity offers free debt advice.  The ‘Money Manager’tool records your income and expenditure to show you where your money is going. They also offer a ‘Debt Analyser’ to give you an idea of which debt solution is best for you. Call 0800 085 0226 for more information.

Money Advice
Provides free, clear, unbiased advice to help you manage your money.    Visit their website, call 0300 500 5000 to speak with a trained adviser or 0333 321 3434 to arrange an appointment with a local adviser.

National Debt Line
This is a helpline that provides free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems.  Call 0808 808 4000 for more information.

Offers free online and telephone debt advice and can guide you through your options. Visit the website or ring 0800 138 1111.

Turn2us Provide free, confidential information and advice on benefits, grants, managing money and redundancy.  They also offer an online benefits calculator to work out what you could claim. For more details call 0808 802 2000.

Emergency Food

Knowsley Foodbank

Run by the Big Help Project, Knowsley Foodbank provides packages of food to last three days, accessed through a voucher held by organisations across the borough.  You can take your voucher to a number of weekly distribution centres available Monday to Saturday.  You can also access other Big Help Project services through the foodbank (including Jubilee Debt Advice and Next Steps employment). Visit the website for up to date sessions.