Support for carers

Anyone who cares for a friend, neighbour or relative who is frail, disabled or mentally or physically ill, is a carer. You don’t need to live in the same house to be a carer.

There are a number of support services available to carers, including short breaks, carers’ centres and support groups.

Getting a carers’ assessment

If you provide care on a regular basis to a person aged 18 or over, you are entitled to a carers’ assessment. Parents of disabled children will usually receive a family assessment.

What the assessment involves

The assessment lets you discuss your situation and the help you need. This may include:

  • Responsibilities such as work, education, family and child care
  • Benefits you may be entitled to
  • Your partner’s financial situation, if they are under your care
  • Education or training needs
  • Leisure activities
  • The impact of your caring role

Usually, the carers’ assessment happens at the same time as an assessment of the person you are caring for. However, a private discussion can be arranged. There’s more information about this on the ‘Request a care assessment’ page – link to this.  The help you may get after an assessment can include help with housework, taxi fares and driving lessons.

How to request a carers’ assessment

Contact the Knowsley Access Team on 0151 443 2600. All calls will be handled in confidence.

Carers’ Centres

Knowsley Carers’ Centre is a charity providing advice and support to carers, including:

  • Emotional support
  • Welfare benefits advice
  • Access to practical and financial help
  • Education and training opportunities
  • Social activities
  • Support to carers’ groups
  • Complimentary therapies and relaxation courses
  • Monthly carer forums where you can have your say
  • Carers’ emergency card
  • Volunteering opportunities

Visit the centres in Kirkby - 0151 549 1412, Huyton – 0151 482 6279 and Halewood – 0151 448 9771 or email to find out more.  Knowsley Carers Centre can also arrange home visits by appointment.

Opening hours

Kirkby centre: 143 Bewley Drive, Kirkby, L32 9PE. Monday - Thursday: 9.30 – 4.30pm Friday: 9.30am to 3.30pm. Tel: 0151 549 1412.

Huyton centre: The Old Schoolhouse, St Johns Road, Huyton, L36 0UX. Tuesday – Friday: 9.30am to 3.30pm. Tel: 0151 482 6279 Halewood centre: New Hutte Neighbourhood Centre, Lichfield Road, Halewood L26 1TT. Tuesday - Thursday: 9.30am – 3.30pm. Tel: 0151 448 9771.

Breaks for carers supporting adults

A short break gives you time off from your caring responsibilities for a few hours, days or weeks.

There are also community based activities for people with learning disabilities, enabling them to join in activities, make friends and take a break from their families.

For information on the full range of long and short break services available, contact the Knowsley Access Team on 0151 443 2600.

Support groups

Call the Knowsley Access Team on 0151 443 2600 for more information about day and family support centres.

Download  Knowsley Carers Centre Services Information

For further information and support to help you live independently in Knowsley, or to help someone you care for, visit The Live Well Directory website.