Elected Members Privacy Notice

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Council’s Elected Members.  As Elected Members of Knowsley Council, to fulfil our role as a councillor in helping constituents who contact us, the law requires us to be registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) as data controller of personal data.

Why do you need my information?

As Elected members, we collect personal information that is supplied to us in our roles as Elected Members of Knowsley Council process your data for the following reasons

  • To allow us to resolve a matter on your behalf
  • To allow us to answer the queries you have raised with us

What allows you to use my information?

We will use your information with your approval, we will check with you that you agree to us sharing information with the council or other organisations we will need to speak to on your behalf as part of resolving the matter you brought to us.

As Elected Members, we also have powers under the Local Government Act 1972, the Localism Act 2011 and the Data Protection Act 2018 (Schedule 1, Part 2, Paragraphs 23 & 24) that allow us to use personal data as part of our constituency business.

Who will my information be shared with?

As Elected Members of Knowsley Council, we may need to share information regarding your query/complaint to council officers or other public authorities and public partnerships (e.g. councils, schools, NHS providers, police, government departments such as the Department for Work and Pensions, and registered social landlords in and out of the borough).  We do this in order to allow them to look into the issue you have raised with us. 

We do not pass personal details of constituents who contact us to anyone else unless we are required to do so by law or where this is in connection with a criminal investigation.

We intend that only the minimum possible personal information will be shared with other agencies as necessary to assist you.

If you provide us with personal information about someone other than yourself, we may need to check the facts with that other person.  If you ask us to take action on behalf of a friend or relative, we may need to contact that person to ensure they are happy for us to act on their behalf.  If you feel this would not be appropriate for us to contact the other person you should discuss this with us when you give us their information.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

If you do not provide us with the personal information we need to take up an enquiry on your behalf we will not be able to help you with it.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

We will keep your personal information for the duration of our time as an Elected Member of Knowsley Council.

How will my information be stored?

Your information will be stored electronically through the councils systems.  All paper documents are stored in locked cabinets.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?

No. The council‘s Elected Members do not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.

Will my data be transferred abroad and why?

No. The council’s Elected Members do not transfer your data to third parties in other countries.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Elected Member holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Elected Member to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Elected Member to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Elected Member to stop using your personal data, or complain about how your data is used 
    To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Website: www.ico.org.uk

Chat with us