Adult social care - Privacy notice

Within our Privacy Statement you will find the answers to the below questions:

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Council are the Data Controller under the terms of the of the Data Protection legislation and we are legally responsible for ensuring that all personal information that we process, hold, obtain, record, use or share about you is done in compliance with the data protection principles.

Why do you need my information?

We need information in order to provide care and support services and to support vulnerable adults, the elderly, those with physical or learning disabilities and carers.
To do this we will collect details about your needs, support you already have in place and your financial circumstances.

This will help us:
  • Provide you with the information and advice you need
  • Assess if you have eligible care needs
  • Decide with you how best to meet your eligible needs
  • Make sure your support is safe and effective
  • Work with others who provide you with support to ensure you get the best possible service
  • Make sure the care in place is meeting your needs
  • Calculate how much you can afford to pay towards your care services
  • Help investigate any worries or complaints you have about your care
  • Commission appropriate services to meet needs
  • Keep track of spending on care services
  • Review the quality of care
  • Research and plan new services
  • Ensure compliance with safeguarding adults policies and procedures

The types of information collected

You will be asked personal questions about all your personal needs, your home circumstances, your health, social life and financial circumstances. Information will also be provided by staff who care for you including nurses, doctors, therapists and care providers. This information will include details about:
  • Your medical history
  • Your needs and the support you require
  • Where you live
  • Your family and friends
  • Your money and your financial circumstances
  • Your safety and any concerns about this

What allows you to use my information?

The Council is allowed to use the information to meet its Legal obligations and carry out public tasks under various UK laws including but not limited
  • The Children Act 1989, 2004
  • The Health & Social Care Act 2012
  • The Health and Social Care (Safety and Quality) Act 2015
  • The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013
  • The Children and Social Work Act 2017
  • The Care Act 2014
  • The Mental Capacity Act 2005
  • Mental Health Act 1983, 2007
  • Local Safeguarding Children & Adults Boards Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/90)
  • The Localism Act 2011
  • The Crime and Disorder Act 1998

If the law does not allow us to use your information you will be asked for consent.  If the Council is relying on consent to collect and use your information you have the right to withdraw consent at any time.

Who will my information be shared with?

In order to meet our legal responsibilities and enable everyone working with you to support you effectively we may share personal information about you with the following types of organisations:

  • Health services
  • Care providers
  • Voluntary organisations such as Age UK
  • Other local authorities
  • Government agencies
  • Department for Work and Pensions
If the law does not allow us to share your information you will be asked for consent.  If the Council is relying on consent to share your information you have the right to withdraw consent at any time.
 If you think that your information has been shared inappropriately please contact your case worker.

Do I have to provide this information and what happens if I don't?

If you do not provide information the Council may not be able to provide a service or the service may not be the best for your needs.  

Using your NHS number in adult social care

If you are receiving adult social care support in Knowsley then the NHS may share your NHS number with us. This is so that the same number can be used to identify you. By using the same number adult social care and the NHS can work together to provide you with the correct care and support.
Your NHS number is accessed through an NHS service called the Personal Demographic Service (PDS). Adult social care send basic information such as your name, address and date of birth to the PDS in order to find your NHS number. Once retrieved from the PDS the NHS number is stored in the Council’s adult social care case management system.
You have the right to object to the processing of your NHS number. This will not stop you from receiving care, but may limit how we are able to support you. To help you decide we will discuss with you how this may affect our ability to provide you with care, and the other options available to you.
If you object to the use of your NHS number for Adult Social Care Purposes or if you want to discuss any of this information in more detail please contact your case worker.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

The type of service you receive will determine how long your information is held.

Your information will be held in line with legal requirements or until it is no longer required to provide services and will then be securely destroyed.

How will my information be stored?

The council will keep all the personal data it holds secure, whether held electronically or as paper copies. The council has security procedures and an Information Security Policy to ensure we handle data appropriately and protect it from accidental loss or misuse. We also ensure that only members of staff with a legitimate reason to access your information have permission to do so.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data:
  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for.
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Council to remove data that we hold about you.
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request.
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used.
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)
To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:
Dan Howarth
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to:

Dan Howarth
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say form on our website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45