FAQs and guidance notes

Q. Do I need to do a risk assessment?

A. We do not require you to provide us with a formal risk assessment but you should think about what could go wrong and have back up plan, for example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? We recommend you read the advice the can be found at www.thebiglunch.com and www.streetparty.org.uk
Q. We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?
A. No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact the Council’s licensing team for a Temporary Events Notice form. This form costs £21 and you should apply at least 10 working days before your event.
Phone:  0151 443 2300
Email: [email protected]
Web: Alcohol and entertainment licences (knowsley.gov.uk)
Q. We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?
A. No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.
Q. Do we need a permit to serve food?
A. No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.
Q. We’re having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?
A. Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations, however if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration. Please speak to Knowsley's licensing team on 0151 443 2300. Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.
Q. Do we need to clean up afterwards?
A. Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Chat with us