Street parties

Who can use this form?

This form is for the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes:

  • For residents / neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • No licenses normally necessary if music is incidental and no selling is involved
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Self-organised

Larger public events

  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity
  • Licence usually needed
  • Insurance needed
  • Risk Assessment usually needed
  • Skilled / Professional organiser

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. If you want to have a pay bar, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice, which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21. Not all roads will be suitable to close for street parties.

Roads that will be suitable will be local roads, cul-de-sacs and residential roads. If it is not possible to close your road the council would consider a request to hold your street party in your local park.

Please note we are normally only able to close a road for a street party once a year.

What to do now:

1    Read our FAQ’s, Other Things to Consider, Terms and Conditions and Privacy Notice
2    Consult your neighbours – download a sample letter of consultation. We recommend you do this at least three weeks before you intend to submit your application in case there are residents who are away on holiday.
3    Complete the street party road closure form,
4. Read, and sign the form of Indemnity 

Return both documents with any other information required at least four weeks before your event to [email protected] and [email protected]

We should acknowledge your application within two working days of receipt. If you do not hear from us, please call 0151 443 2300 or email [email protected]

You can also download the form with all of the information you need here

What happens next?

We will look at what you are proposing and consult with our highways colleagues. We aim to provide a decision within 20 working days but this can be quicker for applications arriving outside our main events season of May to September and for cul-de-sac locations.

Chat with us