Privacy policy: Early Years Service

Who will own my data once I submit It?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

Knowsley Council are required to keep a record of how many children, young people and families our services are reaching, and how our services are helping the people that use them. This enables us to see whether the money that we are investing is being well spent and is contributing to people’s lives in a positive way.

What allows you to use my information?

When you register with the Knowsley Early Years Service, you will be asked for some basic information on you and your family such as your names, dates of birth, address and ethnicity and whether you have any additional needs. We will record which activities and services you and your family access and how we have supported you.

The Children Act 2004 provides the statutory guidance on using information to promote the wellbeing of all children.

Who will my information be shared with?

The information will be shared with Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council and other organisations delivering services who are or have been involved with your family. This may include but is not limited to:

  • Knowsley Council
  • Health Services
  • Schools
  • Early Years Settings

We may also receive information about you from other Early Years Services or partner agencies if it is legal to do so.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

We are committed to making sure that information is kept safe, stored securely and can only be used by the people who need it to enable us to offer your family the support and services that you require.

  • We will not share information without your consent unless the law and data protection rules permit it.
  • If consent is required, then you may withdraw this consent at any time.
  • You may also request a copy of the information we hold and share about you

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council are required to retain the information on children for 25 years (this retention period is currently under review).

How will my information be stored?

All the information that you give us will be kept safe and secure whether it is written or on a computer system. We will treat any personal information confidentially and we will comply with the Data Protection Act 2018. This means that, if we keep any of your personal information, we must:

  • Tell you what information we need to collect from you.
  • Only use the information for the reason we have agreed with you.
  • Not ask for more information than we need.
  • Let you see any information we have collected about you, on request.
  • Keep the information safe, secure and confidential.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when It comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for.
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Council to remove data that we hold about you.
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request.
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used.
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-
Data Protection Officer,
Knowsley Council, Westmorland Road,
Huyton, L36 9GL

Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -
Data Protection Officer,
Knowsley Council, Westmorland Road,
Huyton, L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office,
Wycliffe House, Water Lane,
Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us