Privacy policy: Virtual School – Children Looked After Assessment

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

The aim of this project is:

  • To gain insight into the use of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire as an assessment tool for children looked after
  • To determine if there is value in increasing the frequency of use of the SDQ tool to support CLA in school, particularly where there are concerns

What allows you to use my information?

The information gathered for the project has lawful basis.  Children’s Services provides a number of functions that are written in law: -

  • The NHS and Community Care Act 1990
  • National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009 No 309
  • Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000
  • Adoption and Children Act 2002
  • Children Act 1989 and 2004
  • Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Act 2003 Representations Procedure (England) Regulations 2006 to have a system for receiving complaints for adults and children’s social care service users or their representatives
  • Local Government Act 2009

During the project the professional is able to withdraw their consent at any time.

Who will my information be shared with?

  • Personal Information will be shared with Knowsley Virtual School, Children’s Social Care and CLA health as part of Children’s Services functions.   
  • SDQ information will be shared with internal council services and other partners who are involved in providing services to Children Looked After and only if is lawful to do so.  This may include:
    • Other council services
    • Health partners
    • Schools
    • Following the completion of the SDQ by the school/teacher, the researcher will interview school staff and collate anonymous data about the SDQ process and how the SDQ is used by the school to improve the child’s wellbeing.  Personal information on the child/teacher will not be processed

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Participants will be included on a voluntary basis only.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

  • The completed SDQ will form part of the child’s social care and may be stored up to 75 years, dependent upon the nature of the information.
  • The school will maintain the SDQ as part of the school record and in line with the school retention policy

How will my information be stored?

The SDQ created will be stored on secure Council and school information systems.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when It comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

You have the right under the Data Protection Act 1998 (General Data Protection Regulation) to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form from the council's website and send it to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Or email: [email protected]

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us