Security Service Privacy Notice

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Email: [email protected]

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council (KMBC). The Security Team is the council service area that manages this data on behalf of the council.

Why do you need my information?

KMBC collects data to help prevent, deter and detect crimes and improve public safety and reassurance. We may also collect and process your data to respond to requests for footage.

What allows you to use my information?

The legal basis for using your data in this way is as a public task. Processing is necessary to perform a task in the public interest or for official functions and the task or function has a clear basis in law.
The basis in law for this is the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 which sets out a statutory requirement for local authorities to reduce crime and disorder.

Who will my information be shared with? 

KMBC may share your data with Merseyside Police, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, National Security Agencies, other Police forces, Insurance Companies and Government Departments such as HM Customs and Revenue.

Do I have to provide this information, and what will happen if I don't? 

The data we collect using Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) camera systems does not require prior consent as it would be impractical to request the consent of everyone observed through the CCTV cameras in public spaces. The collection of this data is both in the public interest and in pursuit of the legitimate aim.
If when requesting access under your subject access rights, you do not provide your information, then we will not be able to process your request or search for recorded images and provide it to you.

How long will you keep this data for, and why?

The retention period for images recorded by the system is 31 days. After that period the images will automatically be overwritten by the recording devices. The retention period is a realistic timescale for an incident to be investigated and evidence sought.

How will my information be stored?

CCTV images are stored on secure electronic storage devices that are contained within a high security control environment. If any images are sent out by post on a disc the images will be encrypted and a password will be issued once and email acknowledgement has been received confirming delivery of the disc.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018/ UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the DPA 2018/UK GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form and send it to: -
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Or email: [email protected]

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45


Chat with us