Job Application Process - Knowsley Council Vacancies

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Email: [email protected]

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Council.

Why do you need my information?

In order to process applications for job vacancies and payment for those applicants who are subsequently employed by the council. To monitor our commitment to equal opportunities.

What allows you to use my information?

HMRC regulations, contract of employment, The Employment Rights Act 1996, The National Minimum Wage Act 1998, The Working Time Directive 1999, The Employment Relations Act 1999, Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 The Equality Act 2010, The Public sector Equality Duty – Equality Act 2010, The Localism Act 2011.

Who will my information be shared with?

HMRC, pension fund, law enforcement agencies Referees, Disclosure and Barring Service, National Fraud Initiative, professional bodies if applicable such as the General Teaching Council and the Health and Care Professional Council.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Some of the information requested on the application form is mandatory in order for the council to consider an application for a vacancy or meet its statutory monitoring and reporting responsibilities. Failure to provide this information could result in the council being unable to consider your application or confirming appointment if successful at interview.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Applicant data will be stored on the council’s recruitment system which is only accessible by authorised personnel who are involved in the administration and\or selection process of the job vacancy. Unsuccessful applicant data will be deleted from the recruitment system annually. Any paper copies of application forms which have been printed by the selection panel will be destroyed via confidential waste before the successful applicant’s start date. In the event of your application resulting in the offer and your acceptance of a position at the council, your personal information will be held on the council’s HR and payroll system.

How will my information be stored?

Your personal data will be stored on the council’s secure network and will only be accessed by staff that need to see this information.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: 

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for.
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Council to remove data that we hold about you.
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems.
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request.
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used. 
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable).

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact: 

Data Protection Officer, Knowsley Council, Westmorland Road, Huyton, L36 9GL.

Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or using the council’s online complaints forum.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: 

The Information Commissioner's Office Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us