Privacy notice: Planning

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Email: [email protected]

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Council.

Why do you need my information?

We are the planning department for Knowsley Council. This privacy notice explains how we use information in the course of our work as a local planning authority.
This work includes

  • Making decisions and providing advice on planning applications
  • Making planning policies
  • Working with neighbourhoods on their plans
  • Working with neighbouring authorities on strategic policies
  • Responding to allegations of unlawful development
  • Monitoring development
  • Entering legal agreements, serving notices and promoting the best use of land

To allow us to make decisions on their applications individuals must provide us with some
personal data (e.g. name, address, contact details). In a small number of circumstances
individuals will provide us with “special category data” in support of their application (e.g.
Evidence of medical history).
We use the information provided to us to make decisions about the use of land in the public
Interest. This is known as a “public task” and is why we do not need you to “opt in” to allow
your information to be used.
Some information provided to us we are obliged under the regulations to make available on
Planning registers. This is a permanent record of our planning decisions that form part of the
Planning history of a site, along with other facts that form part of the “land search”.

What allows you to use my information?

We have a statutory obligation to provide these services in accordance with the following legislation:

  • Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004
  • Planning Act 2008
  • Proceeds of Crime Act 2002
  • Local Government Act 1972

Who will my information be shared with?

  • We do not sell your information to other organisations
  • We do not move your information beyond the UK
  • We do not use your information for automated decision making
  • We will make details of planning applications available online so that people can contribute their comments. We will sometimes need to share the information we have with other part of the council-for example to establish how long a building has been used as a dwelling.
  • We also send out a follow-up “how did we do?” survey to a sample of people using our service to see how we can improve it.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

Your planning application cannot be processed.  Formal representations made on planning applications or policy documents cannot be considered.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

All information submitted within a planning application, consultee and neighbor representations, and petitions, including names, addresses, signatures and contact details, will be retained by the council on a permanent basis and will form part of the Statutory Planning Register (which is held by the relevant borough/district council).

How will my information be stored?

The information is stored in a number of ways: Electronic document management system, Hard Drives and microfiche.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the Council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the Council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on Council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the Council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-
Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us