Privacy policy: Knowsley Youth Offending Service (YOS)

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Youth Offending

Knowsley Borough Council is the Data Controller for the personal information you provide. 

Why do you need my information?

  • Prevention of crime
  • Assessment of need and risk
  • Safeguarding
  • Prevention of offending or re-offending by programme interventions
  • Protection of the public
  • Reporting on the performance of the YOT to the Ministry of Justice to fulfil statutory obligations

What allows you to use my information?

Our processing shall be lawful because at least one of the following will apply:
a)  Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the Council is subject; Data Protection Act 2018, Criminal Justice Acts 2003 & 2015, Crime & Disorder Act 1998, Legal Aid Sentencing & Punishment of Offenders Act, Bail Act 2017, Sex Offences Act 2003, Children Act 1989 and 2004, & Working Together 2015.
b) Processing some special category data, i.e. gender, ethnicity, religion, and health related data.  This processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of law, in respect of data protection rights and provide appropriate measures to safeguard your rights and interests.

Who will my information be shared with?

Information may be shared with the following agencies

  • Judicial Agencies e.g. Courts 
  • Police Forces
  • Children’s Social Care including Early Help
  • Probation, MPS and CRC
  • Health Agencies 
  • Education Providers including schools
  • Multi Systemic Therapy Service
  • Substance Misuse Agencies
  • Other Youth Offending Teams
  • Other Local Authorities
  • Youth Justice Board for England and Wales
  • Youth Custody Service (YOI, Secure Training Centre’s)
  • Career Connect
  • CACI (Case Management System Supplier)
  • NTDMS (National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse)
  • Children’s Homes and other Accommodation Providers
  • CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group)
  • CQC (Care Quality Commission)
  • Youth Mutual
  • Employers
  • Family, associates and representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing

If your family is assessed as eligible to receive support from the Stronger Families Programme we will share your personal/sensitive information held by Knowsley Council and its partners with the Department for Communities and Local Government for research and evaluation purposes

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

The Youth Offending Service works with all young people who come into contact with the criminal justice system because they have committed an offence. The YOS looks at the situation of every young person it comes into contact with and identifies, or assesses the possible reasons why they may have committed the offence and any problems they may be experiencing which may increase the likelihood they will commit further offences in the future.

Sometimes we are required by law to share information about you and we do not need to get your permission to do this. Examples might be to protect you or others against risk of harm or to prevent any future crimes.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

Disposal Timescales
Pre Court Three years or 18th Birthday
Court Orders Five years or 18th Birthday unless being transitioned

Some data we may hold under legal obligation for a longer retention period of 25 years.

How will my information be stored?

Information is carefully stored on the YOS case management system on Knowsley Borough Council’s secure network and in paper files. Only authorised professionals have direct access to the information but they may need to share some pieces of information with other agencies in certain circumstances.

Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

  • The right to be informed through this Privacy Notice
  • The right to rectification; you have the right to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
  • The right to complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel we are processing your personal information unlawfully
  • The right to restrict processing activity in certain circumstances
  • The right to object to certain types of processing activity
  • The right to erasure – you have the right to have personal data erased and to prevent processing however the right to erasure does not apply in some circumstances

Due to exemptions under the Data Protection Act 2018, your rights may not apply to information created by the court or that is part of a criminal investigation or proceeding.

You have the right under the General Data Protection Regulation to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form and send it to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45