Who is the Data Controller?
The Returning Officer is the Data Controller for the purpose of obtaining personal information relating to staff employed at any Election. The Electoral Registration Officer will be responsible for obtaining personal information relating to staff employed to undertake the Annual Canvass.
What information do we ask for, and why?
We are collecting this data in order to staff events such as Elections and the Annual Canvass. Paid employment for this work means that we need to meet legal obligations such as Right to work, taxation and PAYE. All the information you provide will only be used for the purpose of processing your application or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements if necessary. We do not collect more information than we need to fulfill our stated purpose.
The information we ask you to supply includes:
- Basic details about you, for example, name, address, date of birth and nationality
- Unique identifiers such as your NI number for payments
- Photographs for the use of ID badges
- Contact details that you have provided to us
- Data to enable the payment of fees
- Scanned application forms and dates of any letters of correspondence
- Notes about any relevant circumstances that you have told us
- Details and records about your past and current employment with Electoral Services for future consideration in other job roles
- Right to work and employment details to check your legality to work in the UK
- Training requests and attendance, to meet performance standards and pay fees
The Returning Officer processes the following special category personal information:
- Race and ethnic origin, insofar as it may be possible for this to be inferred from nationality information.
All data will be processed in accordance with the Council’s Data Protection Policy.
What will we do with the information you give us
We will keep your information to maintain a list of potential staff for Elections and for the Annual Canvass. We will hold this on our Electoral Management and Payroll systems, in addition to copy of your application form being retained on our filing system.
How long is the information kept for?
The Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer are obliged to process your personal data in relation to preparing for and conducting elections. We hold this information for up to 7 years. Your details will be kept and updated in accordance with our legal obligations and in line with our retention policy. Once this period has passed your information will be deleted or confidentially destroyed.
Who the information is shared with?
We will share your details with Knowsley Council’s HR department for the processing of payments and HMRC for taxation and national insurance contributions.
What rights do I have when it comes to my data?
You have the right under the Data Protection Act 2018 /UK General Data Protection Regulation) to request a copy of your information and to know what it is used for and how it has been shared. This is called the right of subject access.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please refer to the data protection section of our website. Requests can be sent to: -
Data Protection Officer
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?
You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -
Data Protection Officer
Or email: email@example.com
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45