Privacy policy: Elective home education

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

To monitor the suitability of education being providing to your children. This is a statutory function for the service.

To ensure all children have access to universal healthcare offer.

What allows you to use my information?

Section 437(1) Education Act 1996. Section 175(1) of the Education Act 2002.

Health & Social Care Act 2012

Who will my information be shared with?

  • Merseycare (Health Visitors, School Nurses and for school aged children’s vaccinations and immunisations),
  • Bridgewater NHS Foundation Trust (for School entry hearing screening) ;
  • St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust (for School entry vision screening);
  • Education Improvement Officers;
  • Social Care;
  • Career Connect;
  • Children Missing Education;
  • Other Local Authorities (should you move from Knowsley);
  • Police (in order to detect or prevent crime)

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

The responsibility for a child's education rests with their parents. In England, education is compulsory, but school is not.
Parents are not required to register or seek approval from the Local Authority to educate their children at home.
However, under Section 437(1) of the Education Act 1996, local authorities shall intervene if it appears that parents are not providing a suitable education, "If it appears to a local education authority that a child of compulsory school age in their area is not receiving suitable education, either by regular attendance at school or otherwise, they shall serve a notice in writing on the parent requiring him to satisfy them within the period specified in the notice that the child is receiving such education." If parents fail to do so a School Attendance Order can be made naming the school the child must attend.

Local authorities also have a duty under section 175(1) of the Education Act 2002 to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. This section states:

"A local education authority shall make arrangements for ensuring that the functions conferred upon them in their capacity as a local education authority are exercised with a view to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children."

The Health & Social Care Act 2012 give local authorities the responsibility to improve the health of their local populations which includes screening and protection from illness and disease.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

This information may be kept for up to 75 years

How will my information be stored?

Secure Filing Systems – our filing and electronic filing systems are secure

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the council’s Data Protection team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us