Privacy policy: Education service

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council (KMBC).

Why do you need my information?

The Council has a statutory duty to:

  • Be aware of children residing in its area.
  • Investigate cases of children missing from education and ensure children not receiving statutory provision are receiving an adequate education.
  • Planning and development of services for children and young people.

The Council is required under Section 10 and 11 of the Children Act 2004, specifically the duty under Section 10 (2)(a), to make arrangements with a view to improving the well-being of children in the authority’s area so far as relating to physical and mental health and emotional well-being.
The Council have an information sharing agreement with South Central & West Commissioning Support Unit (SCW CHIS) to share personal data pertaining to children currently enrolled at school, and recorded as home-educated, within the local authority. This is for the following purpose:

  • Direct Care. For example, to help facilitate the school nurse in offering of immunisations to the child.
  • Data quality. To facilitate the effective management of information held by SCW CHIS and KMBC.
  • For the planning and provision of services for the health and wellbeing of children and families.

Both parties have a statutory obligation to support the delivery of the healthy child programme and the sharing of data ensures that service delivery is efficient in front line delivery, and therefore provides the best outcomes for children.

  • To enable the mandatory and statutory recording and reporting of Child Health data.
  • To ensure the sharing of the relevant Child Health information (School Roll Data).
  • To ensure all child records have a NHS number and up to date demographic and GP practice details.
  • To assist with checking those children of statutory school age living in the Local Authority are known to the Local Authority, GP’s and SCW CHIS.
  • To assist the Named Nurse for Looked After Children in ensuring all Looked After Children have a complete immunisation status.

What allows you to use my information?

  • Section 436A and Section 437(1) Education Act 1996. Section 175(1) of the Education Act 2002.
  • Health & Social Care Act 2012.
  • Section 10 and 11 of the Children Act 2004.
  • Article 6(1)(e) Public task: the processing is necessary for you to perform a task in the public interest or for your official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law. 

Who will my information be shared with?

South Central & West Commissioning Support Unit – Child Health Information Service Information Service (SCW CHIS).

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

The data is already held by the Council and the Council is the Data Controller of that data.
If a parent does not want their child’s information shared this will be considered and discussed with the parent.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

This information may be kept for up to 31 years in line with the Councils retention schedule on Education records.

How will my information be stored?

Secure Filing Systems – our filing and electronic filing systems are secure.
Any transfer of information will be via secure means.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour. (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, contact:-

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or email: [email protected]

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the council’s Data Protection team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Or via the Have Your Say website.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45

Chat with us