Privacy policy: Children's services

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council

Why do you need my information?

  • We need your personal information to confirm your identity
  • To investigate and respond to the needs of children and their families
  • To Investigate and respond when social work interventions are required
  • To investigate and respond to statutory complaints
  • To complete an regular reports and be a learning organisation

What allows you to use my information?

Children’s Services provides a number of functions that are written in law: -

  • The NHS and Community Care Act 1990
  • National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009 No 309
  • Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000
  • Adoption and Children Act 2002
  • Children Act 1989 and 2004
  • Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Act 2003 Representations Procedure (England) Regulations 2006 to have a system for receiving complaints for adults and children’s social care service users or their representatives
  • Local Government Act 2009

Who will my information be shared with?

  • Service areas within the Local Authority
  • North West Boroughs Health Service if related to a shared service
  • Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
  • All partner agencies involved specifically with children and families, in order to safeguard
  • When in court proceedings, information can be shared with parties to proceedings

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

  • Information enables us to plan and support children and families further
  • Sometimes information is requested via court, it can affect plans if it is not shared
  • We appreciate open and honest relationships so may ask for consent to share information as best practice. Where there is a clear risk or safeguarding issue, we may not seek your consent

How long will you keep this data for And why?

Information can be stored up to 75 years, dependent upon the nature of the information. The majority of this information is kept electronically.

How will my information be stored?

  • Information is saved on our IT system, this allows us to safely share information with those who require access
  • Some information is central SharePoint Site. This site has restricted access

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why?

No, there are no requirements to transfer or share information abroad.

What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: -

  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the Council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email:

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45