Who To Contact

Environmental Health
2nd Floor
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9FB
Tel: 0151 443 4712

[email protected]

What constitutes a statutory noise nuisance?

 We can only investigate and act where there is a potential for a statutory noise nuisanceThis can be described as an unreasonable interference with the enjoyment of your property,. and factors to be taken onto account can include the frequency and duration of the noise, the context (such as the location, other noise sources nearby), the volume, any tonal elements of the noise, and the time of day it occurs.
We can investigate
We cannot investigate
Dog barking (not occasional barks)
Anonymous complaints
Loud noise or music e.g TV, sound system A one-off party
Intruder alarms (although this is not dealt with under statutory nuisance)
Anti-social behaviour and/or drug taking *
Noise from musical instruments (if it is persistent, or excessive, or at unreasonable hours)
Talking, laughing, Neighbours arguing or noise due to poor sound insulation between properties
Noise from businesses – including music, industrial noise
Day-to-day domestic noise (e.g footsteps, lawn mowers, washing machine, vacuuming)
  Noise from people in the street, traffic noise, revving engines.
  Noise from children playing
  Noise from DIY (unless it is persistent and at unreasonable hours)

*Contact the Police on 101 or 999 if it is an emergency. Email [email protected] for any general reports of Anti-Social Behaviour that would not be considered to require an immediate Police response.

What can you do?

If you are having issues with noise from a neighbour, firstly if you feel it is appropriate to do so, approach your neighbour and explain politely that you are troubled by the noise. Although you may find this difficult it is surprising how often neighbours are unaware of the disturbance they are causing. Most will be glad to do what they can do to reduce the noise
If the noise is coming from a property which is owned by a housing association or privately rented property it is worth discussing the problem with their landlord. Most tenancy conditions include a requirement that tenants do not cause a disturbance to neighbours. The landlord may be prepared to take action if serious disturbance is being caused. If your neighbour continues to cause a disturbance you may wish to contact the council.

What can we do?

If your complaint relates to a potential statutory noise nuisance which we can investigate, then you must complete log sheets. You can download the log sheets here and these need to be completed and returned within 21 days. They can be emailed to the Environmental Health Service at [email protected]
We will not investigate anonymous complaints where you do not provide your name and contact details. 
Although you can log your complaint by clicking on next at the bottom of this page, with the exception of noise from burglar alarms and noise from commercial premises, the Environmental Health Service will only contact you and investigate further once we have received your completed noise log sheets. These need to be completed to evidence that the noise can be investigated as a potential statutory nuisance.  If log sheets are not returned, the investigation will not be able to continue.  If the log sheets do not provide enough evidence of a statutory nuisance, you will be advised the case will be closed and informed of ways in which you can take your own private action. 
Where the log sheets indicate the potential for a statutory nuisance, further investigation may include officers visiting to witness the noise or installing noise monitoring equipment into your property. If there is a statutory noise nuisance then we can take action as necessary which may include serving an Abatement Notice, seizing equipment and/or ultimately prosecuting the offender.  

Report a noise complaint

Further Information

Visit the website for information on how councils deal with complaints.

Chat with us