Housing disrepair

Who To Contact

Environmental Health
2nd Floor
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9FB
Tel: 0151 443 4712

[email protected]

If you are a tenant living in a rented property and you believe the property to be in a state of disrepair or your housing conditions are poor, this could be because the conditions:

  • affect your health seriously
  • put you at risk of physical harm or injury
  • mean you cannot make full use of your home

Examples of things that could make a home unfit include:

You should contact your landlord or letting agency preferably in writing or by email as then you will have proof of what steps you have taken to get the matter resolved. If you telephone your landlord, then keep records of dates and what was said and agreed. 

Further advice and Guidance can also be found on:

Where a landlord has failed to address the problem you can take action yourself against your landlord under Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, further information is available on Gov.uk

Alternatively, you may wish to contact Environmental Health, whose role is to ensure that a landlord (or letting agent) carries out the necessary repairs when they have failed to do them at your request.  Environmental Health will investigate the matter and if necessary, take appropriate enforcement action. 

You can contact them by:
Email: [email protected]

Phone: 0151 443 4712

Address: 2nd Floor, Municipal Building, Archway Road, Huyton, L36 9FB.

Any issues relating to the following subjects should be referred to the council’s Housing Solutions Team.

  • Issues specifically relating to a tenancy agreement
  • Tenant or landlord law
  • Threats of eviction or homelessness
  • Arrears

If your landlord has not provided you with a current gas safety certificate, then you need to contact the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).

For helpful advice about preventing damp and mould in your home view our Mouldy Matters video.

Chat with us