The views of care experienced children and young people in Knowsley are represented by MADE (Making a Difference Everywhere) Together. This group represents Knowsley’s Child in Care Council.
MADE Together collates the views of care experienced young people through MADE consultation sessions, workshops and discussions with children looked after and young people leaving care groups.
Support for children and young people in care
- The Corporate Parenting Board ensures that the council is an effective corporate parent and is supported by elected members and lead officers.
- The Board works closely with Children’s Social Care to ensure targets set out in the Corporate Parenting Plan are met. It engages feedback from MADE Together to help improve the delivery of services.
- MADE Together hold council services to account to help improve the care experiences of all children looked after and young people leaving care.
- MADE Together meet regularly at Our Place.
- Ensure that young people have a clear voice in their reviews; including supporting young people to chair their own reviews
- Ensure regulated responsibilities include young people
- Ensure MADE Together are involved in strategic planning
- Provide peer mentoring for young people new to being in care
- Perform a mini inspection to assess social work practice
- Provide awareness training for social workers, foster cares, service managers and service leads
- Ensure there is a range of support and opportunities for young people in care and care leavers
- Provide independence skills building
- Ensure young people have opportunity to develop in recreational and leisure activities
There are three MADE groups for children and young people aged 8 to 21 years old. Representatives from each group form MADE Together.
Group meetings take place once a month. Groups are fluid and young people can choose to attend all three groups if they are interested in the agenda issues.
MADE group meetings
- The Participation Officer for children looked after facilitates sessions to help ensure group is on course to meet the aims they’ve set themselves for the year.
- A senior NYAS (National Youth Advocacy Service) advocate attends meetings every four weeks. They provide information on the common experiences of children looked as well as providing advocacy to members of the groups.
- A complaints officer regularly attends meetings.
- Personal advisors sometimes attend the meetings to support the group dynamics.
- Head of Service will contribute and support to MADE groups
- Schedule of meeting are available for each year, from participation officer
- MADE Together to attend Corporate parenting Board
Mental health offer for children in care
There is mental and emotional wellbeing support available for children in care through our dedicated children looked after therapy contract. This can be accessed through the child in care’s social worker or via a supervising social worker.
Contact any of the MADE groups via the Participation Officer for Children Looked After on 0151 443 4021 or email: email@example.com