Private Fostering

Private Fostering is when parents agree for a child to be cared for by someone other than themselves - or close relatives.

A close relative in this situation is either a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt or even step-parents. They could be related by marriage or a full or half-relation.

Partners of the mother or father are not classes as a relative. Neither are extended family members such as great aunts, great uncles or parent’s cousins.

Do you know a child who isn’t living with their parents?

There will be many young people in Knowsley living with someone who isn’t their parent or a close relative. In this situation the child is often part of a private fostering arrangement. If this is the case you are legally required to inform the council about this.

Common situations for private fostering include:

  • Children are living with a family friend because of a family crisis
  • Teenagers are living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • A parent is admitted to hospital for long periods
  • Parents send their children to this country from overseas for education or health care
  • Parents keep parental and financial responsibility for any children being privately fostered.

Telling us about a private fostering arrangement

Anyone involved in a private fostering arrangement should let us know at least six weeks before the child moves to live with them. If the arrangement is made in emergency you must get in touch within 48 hours.
We will monitor private foster placements to make sure they are suitable, offer a good standard of care and safeguard children against abuse or neglect.

Tell us about a private fostering arrangement by phoning 0151 443 2600.

What will we do?

We will arrange for a social worker to work with the child, parents and private foster carer to make sure the best possible arrangements are in place for the child. The social worker will make regular visits to see the child and provide support and advice to the carer where appropriate. The social worker will carry out an assessment of the place that the child is living and checks on the people who live there too.

Useful resources

Chat with us